Friday, August 29, 2008

Gustav

3 years ago today, Katrina barreled into the gulf coast. If you don't live near a hurricane prone area, there is just no explaining how far reaching its effects were and still are. I knew it would be bad, but I had no idea how truly awful.

Now this new storm is headed for the Gulf Coast, and while nobody knows where it will make landfall, people on the coast and in New Orleans are gun shy. My town is 60 miles inland, with 1 major highway and 1 interstate that are evacuation routes. Already, the hotels are full, the grocery stores are selling out of crucial supplies, and gas prices jumped 30 cents in 24 hours. Luckily, I filled my tank on Monday night, before the prices soared, and got my shopping done on Wednesday, before people started going crazy. We're ready for this thing where ever it lands.

Some of the models are pointing it right at us, and some of them are predicting it will head towards Texas. It doesn't really matter to those of us who experienced Katrina. We aren't taking any chances. I have plenty of water, dried goods, batteries, toilet paper, and wine. If needs be, we'll cruise north on Monday, but I'm hoping we won't have to.

4 comments:

Betty said...

Stay safe!! It's good to be prepared! I'll be thinking of you guys.

Sharon said...

Yes, make sure there's plenty of wine! I knew there was a reason we got along so well! ;)

Thinking of you guys. Hope it passes over without any drama.

Anonymous said...

I hate it when they price gouge like that, ugh!!!

I hope you all stay safe & dry & that you don't have to evacuate.

Sandra said...

bravo for being organizes! hope everything will go safe and sound!