Saturday, January 06, 2007

At Last

I've been waiting for a day like this. Saturday, the kids are over at a friend's house, and I finally can get some stuff done. Besides the drudgery of housework, I was actually able to photograph my WIP's. I've finally got Enid casted on. The provisional cast on described in the pattern made it difficult to tell whether or not my stitches were twisted. I frogged that, and started again with a crocheted provisional cast on, and I think this will work better. I've never done this before, but I've got my fingers crossed. In this picture, you can see the contrasting red for the cast on. It's supposed to "unzip" at the end, leaving the cast on stitches live, and I'll pick those up and knit the hem facing, with contrasting color. For now, it's just simple knit stitch in the round for 11 odd inches. This is now a good project for when the kids are around, or I'm talking with friends. Not too much thinking involved, until I get to the yoke.



I don't remember if I discussed the yarn for this project (and am too lazy to look back in my blog to see), so I'll show and tell. The original yarn called for is Reynolds Whiskey. It's a little pricey, and I'm trying all kinds of new tricks, so I opted for Elann Devon, much more economical. The colors in Devon don't really match the colors in Whiskey, so I just picked out as many as were close and then tried to design around them. Here is the palette. The 3 olive green skeins are the MC. The rest of the colors make up the bubble pattern on the yoke.



And honestly, I didn't mean to hold out on you, I've just been so busy with the holidays, cookies you know. I started the cable cardigan in the Fall 2006 Vogue Knits. The pattern calls for a silk/cashmere blend, and let me tell you, there was NO WAY I was going to shell out that dough, so I opted for Knit Picks Wakashan 100% Baby Alpaca. It feels divine. This sweater was moving along pretty quickly, until I got to the front panels and there was cabling to do. I've cabled several things before, and it's really no problem, but #2 has been at home for 3 weeks, and I can't really follow a chart with him around. He starts back to preschool on Monday, so I'll be able to get some more work done on this one. Anyway, here's the back, just to show you I'm not fibbing.



I'm not usually one to juggle projects, but I will have 4 going at once. The two sweaters, and a baby gift (undecided as yet, but has to be done by March), and a cute little hat for my truly girly 3-soon-to-be-4 neice. We'll see how it all works out. I am now off to put on my face. My friend who's watching the kids, is also making Korean food for dinner, and we've got a date. Happy weekend to ya'!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to see you are seriously knit!
I am one or two-projects-at-time kind of gal!

Anonymous said...

The yarn pic is making my fingers itch :)

Anonymous said...

I saw your cookies---love the look of them---I also bake all the time-I opened a cafe in Rutland Vermont and sold over 215 dozen assorted christmas cookies and would love to know if you would send me you biscotti recipe---I saw them on my sister Beth's blog and loved them-been looking for a great kind to make!!!!!

hesira said...

The bicotti recipe is from Epicurious.com. Here's the link:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/102709

There is also a cranberry pistachio biscotti on this site that I want to try.